Sunday, January 29, 2006

Filibuster Alito Weekend

Straddling that activist/reporter tightrope, I have an article at Raw Story about the online push to prod Senators to stop Alito: Liberal bloggers pushing hard for filibuster.

But then I've never disguised my liberal ideology. And would never.

I try to be fair. And I try to be fair to people I don't always agree with.

There are many journalists that I admire who don't hide their bias. I think the biggest problem with journalism today is that too many pretend that they don't have them. They do. We all do.

Aside from my fears of Roe v. Wade being overturned or slowly chopped up, significant erosion to rights such as speech or the concept of innocence before guilt, a Justice Alito could also seriously hamper something else I care truly about:

A free press.

With the Washington Post CIA renditioning stories, the New York Times NSA wiretap investigations, and the ongoing Plame leak case, there may be more than a few Supreme Court decisions in the future that might (can't express it in any other way) fuck our shit up permanently.

Democrats did a lousy job of making the case against Alito the last few months. The right got tremendously loud against Miers...why didn't the Democrats do the same?

So...yeah...make those phone calls, send those faxes, do whatever it takes.


|




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?